Friday, October 23, 2009

Class 10/23/09 - Even More Enriched Yeast Dough

Today was slightly easier, not as many things done. We did some more enriched yeast doughs and began working with custards and pies.

First we had our brioche. We got portions of that hug tub from yesterday and baked them up. I tried only a bite. It tasted okay, like a croissant. How anyone could eat a lot of that I don't know though, it's so rich, so full of butter and eggs. My chef suggested that slices of it makes about the best French Toast ever though.

Next we used the sweet bun dough that we prepared yesterday to make cinnamon buns. We rolled out the dough, covered it with cinnamon and brown sugar (optional nuts and/or raisins, and we opted to omit them), rolled the sheet up, and proofed. They then baked and were topped with a sugar glaze. They look pretty, but again, just swimming in sugar.

One thing that I spent a good part of the class working on were two custards-a toffee caramel flan and baked creme brulee. It was of course something I had never done before. To be honest it's not really my thing I think, it's really more of a restaurant kinda dessert while I like doing bakery kinda things. I don't have any pictures cuz they're presently chilling in the classroom's fridge, so I'll have them tomorrow. I think the flan was a little overdone and the creme brulee might be a little underdone. I'll have to see.

We also made pie dough, that's easy stuff though, nothing special. We also made a filling, I think it was like cranberry apple or something, but we couldn't find cranberries so it's really just gonna be an apple pie. Those are chilling also so it'll be baked tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment