Friday, October 23, 2009

Class 10/22/09 - More Enriched Yeast Dough

Back to class, and we're continuing with enriched yeast doughs.

One recipe this week was brioche. When you think enriched yeast, it doesn't get much more enriched than this. It uses a ton of butter and eggs. I don't know how someone can eat something that rich. It also takes 20 minutes+ to knead which can put a strain on the tabletop mixers so the chef had the entire class pool their parts and we did it in one of the big stand mixers. I'm not crazy about the method, if one group screwed up it may have ruined the entire batch. I prefer working alone and even in my 3 person group I tend to recheck my other group members and stuff, so counting on the rest of the class to have done it right isn't my style. It ferments overnight so I'll have more on it tomorrow but the big batch of dough is kinda cool.

Another recipe we made was doughnuts. For the most part it's just like any other dough, mixing, kneading, fermenting, shaping, and proofing. The cooking method however is obviously deep frying which I found kinda interesting, it's nothing I've ever done before. They looked like they turned out alright. I didn't try them so can't say for sure.

The third recipe of the night was hot cross buns. Nothing too special. A lot of ingredients and a lot of steps so kinda a pain. They look nice though. Nothing much to say about em.

In addition we also made pizza dough. Nothing special. I've been doing it at home for a while now so it was easy. I guess we're gonna use it in class the next two days, though I dunno how people can be eating at 10pm, I'd rather just take the dough home and make something myself. We also made sweet bun dough that also will be used tomorrow. More on that then.

No comments:

Post a Comment