Friday, October 16, 2009

10/16/09 - Demo - Zuger Kirschtorte

This morning, my pastry instructor, Chef Fleckenstein was taping a demonstration, something necessary to become a CCE, certified culinary educator. Only five of us came to watch, but I don't turn down opportunities to learn something I really care about. Not only does it help the chef, but gives me some instruction both in skills and the concept of performing a demo.

Chef began with knife cuts, nothing I really need to go into. I think one of the things that I did quite well in my Skills class was my knife cuts. I'm good with my hands (and good with a knife) and my work experience has given me a surprisingly accurate eye for measurements. But it still showed me how it's really done, very nice quality especially since he was being taped while doing it.

Then onto his bigger performance. Chef prepared a Zuger Kirschtorte for his demonstration. Really impressive stuff. While being filmed, in front of us, he prepared and explained the preparation of the Kirschtorte, and it's not all that simple. He showed us how to make a sponge dough. He then made a merengue which is then baked to make a crisp disc. He finished by making a buttercream for the product. All while explaining it on camera. He obviously couldn't bake it, he had pre-baked sponge and merengue, but the buttercream was made fresh. He then assembled the kirschtorte, made it all nice and pretty and all that. It was very impressive. And tasted really good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment