Monday, October 26, 2009

At Home and About - 10/25-26/09

Sunday the 25th was a fun day and something rather out of the ordinary for me. I went to Marta's house to prepare chili for the following day's Chili Cook-off at the school. I had never really made chili myself so it was an interesting and fun experience. We made a vegan chili which was cool, as I won't eat meat. The prep of all those vegetables took quite a long time but it was really beautiful, containing green and red peppers, carrots, celery, corn, onions, garlic, three types of beans, and a lot of seasoning. One seasoning I found quite interesting was cocoa powder, making giving it a mole flavor. It wasn't predominant but it mellowed it out nicely. And of course tasted great.

In addition to the chili we made cornbread to go with it, jalapeno cheddar mini corn muffins to be precise. I think they were excellent. They had the jalapenos giving it a little kick but nothing strong. I never really tasted the cheddar but I'm sure it was a good complement to everything else. One thing we did, like the corn muffins we made in class a couple weeks ago, was use whole frozen corn in it. I am still unsure whether or not I like it. It gives it some texture but I can't say whether or not it's my thing. I like it more in this than I did the ones made in class so I don't mind it, but I'm not sure if I'd prefer it without. Either way, they're great. We made some at Marta's yesterday which we at with dinner and I made a fresh batch today (the 26th) for the contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment