Saturday, November 14, 2009

Class 11/14/09 - Just Cookies

We ended the week on a pretty good note. We just did a variety of cookies today and it went quite smoothly. I've been baking some of these cookies since I was a little kid, so I guess it's kinda the roots of my trade. What I can't get is how like every group did at least one thing wrong with the recipes tonight. I think cookies are the easiest thing we've done all quarter. Whatever, everything we did turned out well.

The first thing that we did was get our German chocolate layered bars from yesterday baking. Those took about an hour to bake and then we chilled them. They broke a bit when we tried to divvy them up because they're supposed to chill overnight, but it's all good. I tossed them in the freezer at home so that'll solidify them pretty well.

Next up were gingerbread cookies. There isn't really much to say about them, they're one of the first cookies, if not the first I had ever made. A different recipe but not much has changed.

Next were sugar cookies. Same boat as the gingerbread. One of the oldies. Easy stuff, came out just as one would expect.

Next were cinnamon sugar biscotti. You may recall that a month ago maybe I had experimented making them at home, and they were overly hard. Today's outcome was better than that at home. I'm not really sure what changed, but perhaps I just had something wrong in the recipe. When I rolled out the dough it was much softer and stickier (but it shouldn't have really been sticky, either the dough was too wet or the environment was just too warm). It spread more when it baked, and wasn't as crisp after the first baking. They came out well. I'd surmise that from the time at home, either 1) I measured something wrong (unlikely), 2) they baked too long (possibly), 3) I baked them too hot (also possibly). Maybe I'll try making them again sometime, who knows.

Finally we did cinnamon butter cookies. They weren't anything special, just kinda sugar cookies with cinnamon, and then cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. I don't know if they're exactly the same but they seem to be like Snickerdoodles, though I'm not sure if that's a really commonly known name. I never heard of it until I worked at Firehook.

No comments:

Post a Comment