Tuesday, November 10, 2009

At Home - 11/08-10

A little bit of baking at this week.

On Sunday I made tortillas again. This time I increased the recipe slightly so that I could make larger tortillas. They came out to be a good size this time. I also doubled the recipe and froze half of them for next time. The only problem is I cooked them a little too long and they began to get crisp. I think that I may have cooked them a little to hot actually. I used the second six and they broke when I tried to roll them. However the first size I froze and they felt softer before I froze them. I turned up the heat partway through to make them cook faster so maybe that's the issue. (BTW forgive the picture, for some reason it uploads rotated and I can't figure out why).

On Tuesday I made some cornbread. A couple weeks ago a classmate of mine graciously gave me a whole lotta buttermilk after some cooking and the expiration date is rapidly approaching so I want to use it as soon as I can. It can go beyond the sell-by date by a good deal since it's already cultured, but it's sourness was already quite defined so I don't want to let it sit too long. As opposed to the corn muffins I've made in the past, I decided to make "Southern Cornbread" which omitted the sugar and was baked in a pan. I'm fine with the pan concept-I just made a double batch and did it in a 9x"13" pan. I just break it up and eat it like cereal anyway (great for portion control) so being a muffin didn't matter to me. I was okay with the idea of omitting the sugar, if I can make it healthier I'm cool with that, but the lack of sweetness was very noticeable and it really detracted from it. Next time I might try at least part of the sugar or perhaps honey for some sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment