Friday, November 13, 2009

Class 11/13/09 - Tarts and Cookies

Some more cookies today and even more tarts. Before I worked in a bakery, I don't think I had ever noticed tarts for sale and we've been making them for like three weeks now. Today was the last night of tarts I believe, however.

First is the Linzer tart which we started yesterday. Today we just shaped the dough and filled it with raspberry jam, then gave it a lattice top. If I ate sweet things, I think that I'd really like it. The dough smells really good, it kinda reminds me of gingerbread, most likely from the cloves. It turned out quite nice.

For our second tart, we made tartlets. These were fresh berry tarts. Rather simple, we just pre-baked tartlet shells, made some pastry cream and filled them in the shells, topped with fresh berries, and glazed. I'm kinda tempted to having them, since my diet is woefully devoid of fruits, despite them being my favorite foods, but the tarts are still pretty unhealthy and they're glazed. I'll think about it.

Our final tart was a raspberry mascarpone tart. Mascarpone cheese, honey, and a few other things were mixed up and then heavy cream that was whipped to soft peaks was folded in. That was put in a pre-baked tart shell, topped with raspberries, and glaze. It is pictured above with the fruit tartlets.

Next we did some cookies. They're easy stuff. First was peanut butter sandies, just peanut butter cookies with some sugar on top. I'm not crazy about the extra sugar but that's the recipe.

Our last completed item today was traditional shortbread cookies. It was just a shortbread recipe and we rolled them, froze them, then applied egg wash and sugar, then sliced and baked them.

We also began work on German chocolate brownies. They take a long time to bake and then need to chill before they can be cut so we just prepped them and put them in the fridge to bake first thing tomorrow. It was a two-part recipe. First we had to make the chocolate/nut brownie, and then a topping that was primarily coconut. We'll bake those tomorrow and I'll get a picture then.

No comments:

Post a Comment