Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week of 03/01/10 - Class - Chocolate Showpiece and Wedding Cake


As this quarter is nearing its end, we arrived at the point in our chocolate class that I have dreaded: the showpieces. I think that the concepts and artistry is amazing, for those who can do it. I know that I can't. I'm not artistic, I'm not creative. Regardless, not really my choice. Our first showpiece was done with chocolate.

To put it simply, it was a mess. Unfortunately it was mostly all my fault too. I didn't properly temper the batch of chocolate we used to make the "C's" so they didn't contract and then snapped when we tried to unmold them. I made the leaves too thin so they were very difficult to work with and most broke (there should be a third flower that didn't make it). It was redeemed a little when all put together but still I think it sucked. As a note, the pictures were taken a week after the fact and it was during that time that the base broke and it got fairly disheveled. It was marginally better at the time of completion. The only solace is that we're done with chocolate and if I'm lucky I'll never have to work with it again.

In our cake class we began work on our next assignment, a three tiered wedding cake that we are attempting to copy from a previously found design. We just covered it and then began the decorations so nothing to see. Details and pictures will follow when completed the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment