Thursday, March 25, 2010

03/25/10 - Class - Viennese Table

Between last week and this week, each student had to make three petit fours to go with their wedding cake and to create sort of a mini-Viennese Table. I decided to complement my Mario themed wedding cake with pastries dedicated to Glorious Nippon. It's nice having free reign and access to ingredients you can't cheaply/easily get on your own.

The petit fours went okay. I made four types: Green Tea Petit Fours Glace, Matcha and Azuki Cake Rolls, Azuki Butter Cookies, and Melon Bread. The green tea petit fours were a little too big so they didn't present as well as I had hoped. The azuki paste was a bit of a pain. First, they didn't have azuki paste, so I had to make my own. Second, they didn't have azuki beans so I had to use red kidney beans. Third, I was given dry beans so I had to do it all at home ahead of time. I didn't have the patience to cook it to a full paste so it was kinda chunky, which hurt the presentation a bit I feel.

Overall I think they turned out pretty well. However it was kinda ruined when I found out that we weren't allowed to keep our cakes. That pretty much killed my ambition at the end of the class. At least I didn't find out until I had already made and presented everything.

2 comments:

  1. So what do they do with the cakes? Your cake looks btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the Styrofoam is pretty expensive so they break them down so it can be reused.

    ReplyDelete