Friday, May 7, 2010

05/06-09/10 - Class - Breads Week 4

Another week, more breads.

On Thursday we only baked off one bread which was more country bread. This week was a Tordu shape, a long batard with a twist. I forgot to take a picture but it's the same as the last 3 country breads, not very interesting.

We also prepared doughs for sourdough rye bread and roasted potato bread. These were both left to ferment overnight and then baked off on Friday. Both turned out fine. I thought that the potato bread was pretty interesting. I've had potato bread before made with potato flour, but this recipe used roasted potatoes which we then mashed up and added to the dough. It made a very light, soft loaf, though I didn't really taste potato at all in it.

Besides baking those two breads, we also made a number of flatbreads on Friday. The first was corn tortillas. They didn't really work out the best. We used a tortilla press to shape them then cooked them in a skillet. I didn't think the press worked out very well-we had to stretch out the tortillas by hand before putting them in the skillet. Plus cooking them in general didn't turn out the best, they got rather irregular. They tasted okay I guess though. My past experience making tortillas at home were more successful I think though.

Next we made pita. These turned out very well, pretty much perfect. Quite the opposite as the tortillas, as my previous attempts at making pita at home didn't turn out that great. I think that's probably mostly due to my lack of practical facilities in my tiny apartment.

Additionally we made naan and lavash. They were both sorta similar in process, but ultimately quite different. Naan was made in larger loaves and given a three hour fermentation and 60 minute proof, while lavash also had a 3 hour ferment but only a 10 minute proof. Lavash was was also rolled a lot thinner than the naan and meant to be like a big crispy cracker. Ours wasn't rolled thin enough so it puffed up some but was still good. Our naan turned out quite well too. When it baked, it puffed a lot so I got a little worried but it deflated after removing it from the oven so it was pretty good. My only concern is that it seemed like a pretty bland recipe. When I've had naan in restaurants, it had many unique varieties, while the one we made was plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment